Faith Art Community Exploration

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

The Art of Letting Go

I've been struck recently with the idea that I often get so fixated on perfection in my songwriting that I limit myself in my growth as a songwriter. I received Rob Bell's Drops Like Stars book for my birthday and came across the following section.

David Bayles and Ted Orland in their book Art and Fear tell the story of a ceramics teacher who divided the class into two groups - one group would be graded on how much they created in the designated time, while the other group would be graded on the quality of the one work they made. In the end, it was the "quantity" group that ended up producing the works of most quality.
They conclude "that while the 'quantity' group was busy churning out piles of work - and learning from their mistakes - the 'quality' group had sat theorizing about perfection, and in the end had little more to show for their efforts than grandiose theories and a pile of dead clay."


I have been working on a song over the last few months that I had really hoped to share with the songwriters' group on Sunday night, but was still unsatisfied with it. I worked on it for a few hours on Sunday and decided that while I still wasn't completely pleased with it, it was at least in a state where I could share it, get feedback and continue to craft. When I shared it, I got positive feedback from it and had to admit that my desire for it to be "perfect" probably was keeping me from devoting time and energy from other songwriting projects. I had to admit to myself this morning that the song probably is not the best thing I've ever written and may not be heard much. The choice that I'm left with is to either try to continue to sculpt away at it, or learn from it, move on and let it be a part of my maturing as a writer as I continue to pursue the craft.

I'm letting go, moving on and hopefully becoming a better artist because of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home