Faith Art Community Exploration

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Solutions Through Community

(Previously posted on Prayers and Dreams of a Satellite Soul)

I know some of you have been wondering when I might get around to part two of the post from February 27. Here's where we pick it up again. If you haven't read that one yet, I'd recommend reading it before reading this one or it will be completely out of context.

At the end of that post I asked how Christian artists might be equipped and encouraged to create art that is incarnational in nature. As a songwriter, I recognize that there is a craft to songwriting and composition in other art forms that must go through birth pangs and infancy before it can grow into the fully formed expression of adulthood. It is not dissimilar from how a person progresses in discipleship. Because of this, I am of the opinion that artists should be fostered, equipped and encouraged in the context of community.

That's a no brainer in terms of formal education. The skill is applied in a setting where assignment is issued, effort is expended and feedback is given. Repetition of this process pushes the artist/composer/actor/writer/dancer/videographer to stronger artistic acheivement and gives them tools for continued growth that carry them after the season of formal training ends.

There are several disconnects between the ideal of a creative community and the reality of the current state of Christian art. One is that many creatives forgo formal settings of education and are left without all of the tools and development they need to really grow in their craft. Second, many creatives that go through the formal setting become "immune" to critical thought that could actually help them better acheive their creative potential. Third, many creatives are insecure in their efforts and/or gifting and isolate themselves as a defense against criticism. Finally, creatives are not really challenged to grow by the Church at large because we are not comfortable critiquing the offering of other believers (at least not to their faces).

I believe that all of these issues touch on a greater need for community and I'd like to deal with each one (and any others we discover on the journey) on its own in the weeks ahead. I know there are other issues involved as well that I haven't addressed here and I would welcome any comments in order to continue the discussion. I really believe we are in this together and value the input of others that have a passion for the arts and faith.

2 Comments:

  • I am interested in the three main problems you identify with most Christian creatives. I look forward to seeing how these issues are dealt with in the coming weeks.

    I would have to add to that that the biggest problem I see personally in the Christian artists and believers that I know is that they simply don't think of what their doing as art, as something that must be done with a desire for excellence outside of some monetary or notoriety. It seems that their really is no consciousness to their work, or their enjoyment of a work.

    There is this myth that the visual arts should like pretty, the musical arts should sound like the music of other accepted artists, and the literary arts should be pure and didactic. While I completely agree that community is important, education of the Church also seems to be quite important to me.

    Shalom,
    alan

    By Blogger noneuclidean, at 10:00 PM  

  • You encouraged me to write my own post on community

    By Blogger noneuclidean, at 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home