Faith Art Community Exploration

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Problem With Christian Art

(Previously posted at Prayers and Dreams of a Satellite Soul)

First, a disclaimer: This is the first of two posts that I've been agonizing over as I've looked at how to address the issues presented in as strong a manner as possible without being unduly harsh. If you believe this post to be too harsh, I pray that you'll hang with me for the second part which, I hope, will be an encouragement for where we're headed.

I've had a few interesting conversations about music and faith in recent years. Most of these conversations have involved the merit of particular songs or particular artists, but most have also been relegated to the realm of the Christian subculture.

Most Christians that don't know me would assume that I would be a huge fan of Christian music because of my involvement in and love of music for the Church. In a great number of those conversations, people are surprised to learn that I don't care for particular artists that are among the most popular in Christian music. They are often surprised to learn that I'd much rather listen to just about any "secular" hit radio station than any Christian radio station that we get around here or around where we lived in Indiana because, both lyrically and musically, the secular station is going to broadcast a better and broader range of artistic expression.

The thing that has been most interesting in recent conversations is that whether I'm talking with Christians or non-Christians, there's a set of assumptions that accompany conversations about music when faith becomes a part of the dialogue. There's an assumption that Christians should listen to and enjoy Christian music. I played for a youth conference a few years ago where the speaker (a man I admire a great deal) went so far as to say, "I'm a Christian. Of course I listen to Christian music. Why would I listen to anything else?" I wrestled with that statement for some time afterwards and came to the conclusion that it shouldn't be a blanket statement applied to all believers (which was the context he said it in) and, ultimately, it isn't healthy for the creative spirit of Christian art.

I remember when the movie version of "Left Behind" came out. It was a highly anticipated event in Christian circles because of the overwhelming success of the books and the notoriety that they brought in the mainstream media. I admit that I was looking forward to it as well. The studio took a strange approach to the release of the film; they released it on DVD a few weeks prior to releasing it in theaters. The hope was that it would generate positive buzz and that people would see it ahead of time and then invite their friends to the theater to see it. I was fortunate enough to see it on DVD before plunking down my $7 at the theater to see one of the worst movies I have ever seen. In the days leading up to the theatrical release, I was at one of the local Christian bookstores buying some CD's for the church when one of the ladies at the counter wanted to know if she could send some "Left Behind" posters and flyers with me to hang up at the church. I think I surprised her when I said, "No, thanks." She asked me why and I had to tell her that I had already seen it and thought it was a terrible movie, to which she replied, "I thought it was one of the greatest movies I'd ever seen."

There are those that will criticize me for saying this, but there are times that I believe that we will champion just about anything done in the name of Jesus Christ without holding it to the same artistic standard that we will hold just about anything else. Because of this, from my perspective, a lot of the music and other artistic expressions produced by Christian artists leave a lot to be desired from an artistic perspective. While things appear to be on an upswing in this regard, there are still a great number of Christian artists who have successful careers (from a business perspective), but create subpar art.

Makoto Fujimura (New York visual artist and an important voice in faith and culture conversation) in discussing the recent movie "The Chronicles of Narnia" stated that he thought the representation of Aslan was less than it should have been and deserved (and demands) a better telling. He said, instead, that the character of Kong in Peter Jackson's "King Kong" captured a fierceness that was lacking in Aslan and that "Kong somehow manages to create a need for redemption better than Narnia as a film." He pointed out that the character of Aslan is one of the most beloved Christ figures in all of literature and stated that, in terms of the truth behind the story, "where much is given, much is required."

I think that holds true in any realm of art where the Gospel is presented as well. If we compose music, poetry or a painting that lacks quality and creativity, what does that say about the God we serve?

Dwell on that question for a minute.

This is a question that haunts, discourages... and inspires me. It keeps me up at night, makes me dream big dreams and, I believe, is the reason that I am where I am. I believe that God is desiring to see artists of faith equipped and encouraged to create great art that will be incarnational in nature, inspiring people to realize the fullness of His holiness and the depth of our depravity so that we can more clearly see the wonder of His mercy.

How will this happen? More later.

1 Comments:

  • Matt,
    Wow. This subject is something I talk to very few people about. Most of my friends are Christians and fall into the 'gotta immerse yourself in things done by professing Christians' train of thought.
    In fact, my wife of 21 years still doesn't quite understand my penchant for what I call 'honest' music.
    I listen to our local (Orlando actually) Christian station, and after about 30 minutes, I want to scream. It's as if 9 of every 10 songs is saying what a Christian musician trying to say what they think other Christians would want them to say, instead of just letting their heart speak, regardless of what it feels like saying.
    Music is my thing, and although I would LOVE to only listen to Christian music, much of what is played under the Christian banner puts me to sleep. My friends and even my wife just don't understand when I hear a metal song performed from the heart and I cry. They're like 'THAT song makes you cry?!' 'How can you even listen to that hard stuff?' The implication being that metal music can be neither moving nor Christian.
    So, at the age of 43, I listen to what I like to listen to. I live the most Christ-like life I can, and when someone questions what I'm listening to, I just answer them that honesty and heart put into whatever type of music moves me in a way a lot of Christian music cannot. Because, most of what I hear played as 'Christian' seems too contrived.
    Anyway, I liked your essay. It touched on something very important to me.
    In the mean time I'll keep on listening to my old Holy Soldier CDs, Disciple, Living Sacrifice, Old CDs by The Choir, P.O.D., Switchfoot, and anything else that strikes me in my spirit and causes me to praise God. Stuff that strikes me as honestly written and performed.
    -- John M.

    By Blogger JAM, at 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home