Faith Art Community Exploration

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Wake Me Up

I can't think of a more appropriate name for this post since it's been nearly two years since I've posted anything here. I really feel like I am in a season of reawakening and am beginning to ask some of the questions that I was asking a few years ago again. I'm beginning to dream about ways to help artists communicate their faith in ways that are as artistic and creative as possible and how to connect us to one another in a way that encourages us and pushes us to grow in our craft whether we be musical, visual or performing artists.

This video is of a song that I wrote recently that I hope will be the first of many to come as I begin to try to live out my part of the call as a singer/songwriter. I feel like I'm still in my infancy as a songwriter and hope that I'll begin to grow into the role more as I practice a bit more. I wish I would have had a little more time to craft this song, but I kind of painted myself into a corner by setting a deadline so that we could use it for Sunday morning worship at Mercy Church. I've heard it said that an artist never actually finishes his work, he just gives up on it and I feel that way about this song, but still hope that it holds up alright.

My main concern when writing a worship song is writing something that is an honest expression of my relationship with God or about who I believe God to be. The main concern when writing a worship song for a congregation is that it be an expression that others can claim as their own and can enter into freely. My hope is that this song is both an honest expression of where I am in my relationship with God and that it is something that others can relate to and can serve as an expression of God honoring, wholehearted worship for others as well.

My intention is to be more frequent with posts here as God allows me to dream dreams, write songs and partner with other believers who love God and have been given a gift to use in service to Him as well. Be encouraged. God is on the move and He is awakening gifts in His people that will be a fresh expression of His heart to a world that desperately needs Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home